2022 Year of the Tiger (寅年) Design © Allison Mackenzie
SAKURA Newsletter from Allison & Michael
Wishing you all Health, Wealth and Happiness in the Year of the Tiger.
Let's hope 2022 will be a positive, healthy and successful year for everyone.
Michael and I very much hope that our New Year message
finds you all fit and well and we would like to extend our New Year Greetings to all our friends and family, colleagues and clients in the UK, Japan and the rest of the world.
Last year 2021, was fairly quiet for us. We were unable to participate in the Annual Abergavenny Art Festival Market, and the SAKURA printmaking workshops had to be put on hold. However, this alllowed me to became more involved with a local community project, Newport Makerspace • Creudy Casnewydd, working on the design of the Makerspace Logo, membership materials and advertising flyers.
This year in 2022, we will gradually start filling in the diary and have plans to appear at more Events and Arts & Craft Markets throughout the year. In late summer and autumn, we will once again be collaborating with Black Mountain Fabric to run Lino Fabric Printing Workshops in Abergavenny. We very much hope you will support our efforts and we look forward to seeing you at some of our activities in 2022.
Once again Happy New Year and Best Wishes
From Allison & Michael Mackenzie
Here's hoping that access to the creative arts and education continues to thrive, through online viewing and interactive events as well as in person events where possible. Please keep a regular check on our SAKURA Information page, introducing you to various Artists & Creatives, Events & Workshops, information & other useful links.
マッケンジー アリソン とマイケルより
Sakura - Onlne store on Etsy
• SakurayaDesign on Etsy
Designs & Images © Allison Mackenzie
Newport Makerspace • Creudy Casnewydd
Newport Makerspace is a NEW community workshop located on the first floor of the Wastesavers Reuse Centre in Maindee, Newport, South East Wales. This exciting new makerspace comprises three workshops - Metalwork, Woodwork and Craft & Technology. With an extensive range of equipment, these facilities enable members to work and learn together in designing, creating, repairing or upcycling.
Black Mountain Fabric in Abergavenny is a treasure trove of materials and a great place to learn or improve your sewing and crafting skills. Keep an eye on the Black Mountain Fabric facebook page for newly arrived fabrics, special offers and bargains!
• Black Mountain Fabric on Facebook
• Help Newport Makerspace by voting online or in-store in the local Newport Pillgwenlly Asda
Green Token Scheme Ending soon!
Beginners Dressmaking Course • Start Tuesday 18th Jan 2022 (10am-1pm)
Doris Sampler Quilt Course • Start Sunday 30th Jan 2022 (10am-1pm)
Tuffet Workshop (one day) • Sunday 13th Feb 2022 (10am-4pm)
Tuffet Workshop • Image © Black Mountain Fabric
Black Mountain Fabric & SAKURA will be collaborating once again with more Lino Fabric printing workshops in Abergavenny in the later part of this year
• WATCH THIS SPACE!
For Further Details and Bookings PLEASE CONTACT:
Louise Collis Landscape Artist.
Black Mountain Fabric
• 29 Cross Street, Abergavenny, NP7 5EW (01873 858827)
• Black Mountain Fabric Website
Paintings - Images © Louise Collis
Louise Collis is a Welsh landscape painter with a love of colour and painting outdoors 'en plein air'. When she isn't out and about with her easel, she is usually working at home or in her Abergavenny studio. This year she will be continuing to create her collection of daily paintings throughout January 2022.
• Louise has been shortlisted for the BCA Awards 2022 Support her amazing painting (below) by voting online
• BCA Awards 2022 Public Vote (Voting closes at 12am on Monday 7th February)
Reflections at Saunton Sands © Louise Collis
Jill Fanshawe Kato Ceramics inspired by nature.
Images © Jill Fanshawe Kato
Jill Fanshawe Kato is a Japan-trained English potter. Working from her studios in North London and Devon, she creates a magnificent array of functional and sculptural ceramics inspired by her lifelong love of nature. Jill regularly exhibits, lectures, demonstrates and teaches in the UK and all over the world.
Kev F Sutherland Comic Writer & Artist.
Best known for his work on The Beano and Marvel comics and his highly motivating COMIC ART MASTERCLASSES, Kev F has gone one step further with his reimaginings of Shakespeare in the form of graphic novels. More recently he has been creating a range of Pop Star colouring books as well as blank comic books for budding comic strip artists.
Image © Kev F Sutherland
Japan-UK Events Calendar:
Available at certain outlets in the UK:
Dancer • Maiko (s) • Waterfall - Images © Allison Mackenzie
***Please check with the outlets directly re: Covid Closures, Stock Availability & Workshops***
- Black Mountain Fabric is a sewing & quilting shop in Abergavenny, selling a variety of fabrics, patterns, kits, haberdashery and gifts. Black Mountain Fabric also hold a number of
workshops, and classes throughout the year.
Black Mountain Fabric, 29 Cross Street, Abergavenny, NP7 5EW
• Black Mountain Fabric (on facebook)
- Cardiff Korean & Japanese Food Shop
A specialist supplier of Korean, Japanese & Chinese food stuffs. Not only do they sell all the essential ingredients for East Asian cookery, they also sell imported beers and spirits. At the back of the shop you can find a display of beautiful crockery to give your dinner party the complete East Asian experience.
CKJ Foods, 116 Woodville Road, Cathays, Cardiff CF24 4EE
• CKJ (on facebook)
- Fizzyville A unique boutique within Abergavenny Market Hall offering upcycled, refurbished, vintage, antique and contemporary furniture and homeware, with a twist!
Fizzyville, Abergavenny Market Hall, Abergavenny, NP7 5NP
• Fizzyville (on facebook)
- KimonoKimono is a treasure trove of Japanese vintage kimono and accessories as well as Chinese opera costumes.
KimonoKimono, 13 Perry Road, Bristol BS1 5BG
• KimonoKimono (on facebook)
- The Riverfront - Glan Yr Afon (Newport)
The Riverfront Theatre and Arts Centre is a multi functional venue situated alongside the River Usk in Newport.
The Riverfront, Kingsway, Newport NP20 1HG
• The Riverfront (on facebook)
For other SAKURA Links & Information:
FINALLY I would like to thank all of you who follow SAKURA online - on our website, Facebook, Twitter & Etsy. We sincerely wish good health and happiness to everyone.
- Thank you again for taking the time to read this email.
- マッケンジー アリソン とマイケル
- Allison & Michael Mackenzie
- If you have any relevant upcoming Art, Cultural or Educational events you would like us to include in our next newsletter please email Allison: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will consider the details and include them in our newsletter if we find them appropriate.
(If you wish to *add or **remove your email address please see details at the end of this email)
- Contact Us
- * If you would like to be ADDED to this email update please click on the email address below and type in your full name and email address and the text ‘Please ADD me to the SAKURA email update’
- ** If you would like to be REMOVED from this email update please click on the email address below and type in your full name and email address and the text ‘Please REMOVE me from the SAKURA email update’